Not too long ago, a concerned mother began a campaign to make other mothers aware of the dangers of mesh lined swimming shorts. Her son was terribly injured wearing this type of bathing suit. Her 5-year-old son Jack suffered terribly when his penis was entangled in the lining of the swimming shorts.
The mother describes…
“I knew it was caught in some way but I couldn’t figure it out and he was very distressed. I carried him to reception and asked for some scissors. When I explained what had happened they said I needed to get him straight to a doctor.”
But, the mother, Laura and Jack had little luck at the local health center:
“The netting had became caught around the end of his willy and it was strangulating it. There were two little bubbles either side, like skin, like it was going to burst. They decided at that point he needed to go to hospital.”
The boy required immediate medical attention that could only be provided in hospital. He was given a local anesthetic, and eventually the doctors managed to cut him free. There were concerns about Jack’s urinary tract being blocked or damaged through the pressure of the netting. But luckily, after a while, Jack was able to urinate freely and doctors confirmed he had suffered no lasting damage.
And now, unfortunately, Jack has been left traumatized by the incident. His mother says:
“Jack was very upset about it afterwards … He keeps talking about it now … He talks about how he nearly lost his willy on holiday and goes on about the naughty netting. He’s been warning all his friends as he doesn’t want the same thing to happen to them.I never imagined something like this could happen but I want all parents to make sure they remove the netting from swimming shorts.”
That said, it is imperative that parents check their kids’ swimming shorts immediately, before it’s too late.